Areas of educational interest: The future of education.
Why I’m involved in EFF: I joined Education Fast Forward to explore the emergent attributes of what and how we learn through a collective intelligence process.
Riel Miller is a consultant in Strategic Foresight for XperidoX: Futures Consulting. For over 28 years, his work has concentrated on how to use strategic foresight methods to assess and direct the potential for socio-economic transformation in the private and public sectors. His clients span the globe, the public and private sectors, national and international organizations, large and small.
Riel is widely published on topics ranging from the future of: education systems, the global economy, the financial sector, the Internet, social equity, and so on. He holds a PhD in Economics from the New School for Social Research, New York. He teaches around the world and is currently a faculty member in the Master of Public Affairs, Sciences-Po, Paris, France.
Riel has focused on education throughout his career. He has conducted major exercises on the future of education for:
- the Ontario Government, in 1988, as the manager of a two-year foresight exercise into the future of Ontario’s community colleges
- the OECD as one of the co-directors of the Schooling for Tomorrow project
- the European Commission as rapporteur on the future of research actors
- the IPTS (JRC) on the future of “learning spaces”
- Cisco Systems on the relationship between education investment and growth
- numerous specific school systems and universities in New Zealand, Romania, Pennsylvania, Scotland, Finland, Norway and Ireland, among others.